Posts Tagged ‘surgery’

Few things are as unsettling to pet owners as discovering a medical condition which had not been in evidence a day or only hours earlier.   

Ear Flap Hematoma

Click to enlarge.

 

One problem that seems to arise quite suddenly is an ear flap hematoma.  A hematoma is the accumulation of blood and serum between the cartilage and skin of the dog’s or cat’s ear flap.  The resultant swelling causes the ear to look like a floppy balloon or a pillow.   

Did you know? Another word for “ear flap” is pinna.

A  hematoma of the ear flap often arises as the result of trauma, whether caused by the pet’s vigorous head shaking, scratching the ear, or smacking the ear on a hard surface when shaking the head.  The head shaking and scratching have their own underlying causes:  fleasear mites, ear infections, or debris collecting on the eardrum.

This ear mite could be the cause of your pet's itchy ears -- and lead to an ear flap hematoma. Photo by Little Creek Veterinary Clinic

This ear mite could be the cause of your pet’s itchy ears — and lead to an ear flap hematoma.
Photo by Little Creek Veterinary Clinic

After the underlying cause of the hematoma has been addressed, the doctor will determine the appropriate treatment for the swollen ear.  A combination of medication, aspiration of the fluid, or surgical repair may be recommended. 

Ear flap hematomas can recur after medication or aspiration, though rarely after surgical intervention.  If medication-only treatment is chosen due to economic circumstances or because the pet is a poor anesthesia risk, the hematoma will usually resolve over a number of weeks.  Patience is key in this instance, and the veterinarian will want to monitor the ear for progress.

A hematoma is unlikely to resolve itself without medical intervention.  For your pet’s sake, keep in mind that a swollen ear flap can be painful, and it can cause your pet to tilt its head to one side constantly or dig at the ear and worsen the problem. If you suspect your pet has an ear flap hematoma, be sure to seek treatment early, for the best results.

***********************************************************
Originally posted on November 2, 2010.

Read Full Post »

You might imagine that the most interesting thing we find in a pet’s stool sample is a parasite or two. 

The truth is that we are occasionally surprised by an object hidden within the sample. Anything the nature of which is undetermined is classed as a UFO: Unidentified Fecal Object. Sometimes we have to rely on the (surprised/chagrined) pet owner for interpretation of the uncovered ingesta. Oftentimes, the object is easily recognizable.

Following is a sampling of items we have discovered during routine fecal examinations. I have added the pet’s breed, age, and weight, if known.

Baby wipe, ingested and passed by 3 mo. old Boxer pup, 13 lbs.

Baby wipe, ingested and passed by 3 mo. old Boxer pup, 13 lbs.

Ear plug, ingested and passed by 9.5 week old German Shepherd pup, 20 lbs.

Ear plug, ingested and passed by 9.5 week old German Shepherd pup, 20 lbs.

Rubber ring, ingested and passed by 4 mo. old Maltese pup, 5.75 lbs.

Rubber ring, ingested and passed by 4 mo. old Maltese pup, 5.75 lbs.

Nail, ingested and passed by 3 mo. old Labrador pup, 15 lbs.

Nail, ingested and passed by 3 mo. old Labrador pup, 15 lbs.

Elastic string, ingested and passed by cat, age and weight unknown.

Elastic string, ingested and passed by adult cat, age and weight unknown.

The pets that passed the items above are alive and well, with no surgery required. Other pets are not so lucky.

As veterinary professionals, it is not difficult for us to imagine any of those objects becoming embedded or entwined in a pet’s stomach or intestines, provided it passes through the esophagus to begin with. Cats, in particular, are susceptible to swallowing string, which can strangle the intestines.

A pet that has swallowed an object it cannot pass may exhibit vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, and weight loss. If you suspect your pet has eaten a non-food object, take him to your local veterinary emergency hospital immediately. X-rays and surgery may be necessary to remove the item.

Particularly when introducing a new puppy or kitten* to your home, pet-proof the house to remove tempting objects from their reach. Remember: Not everything eaten is actually food.

*Even adult pets are known to swallow non-food items.

Read Full Post »