Posts Tagged ‘plastic allergy’

Note: This post contains images that may be alarming to some.
These photos were taken many years ago,
with the pet owner’s gracious permission,
to be shared for educational purposes.

 

Rodent ulcer 1

Rodent ulcer in a 16-year-old cat, pre-treatment. Photo by Little Creek Veterinary Clinic.

If your cat shows up with a fat lip and she hasn’t been in a fistfight lately, she may have a rodent ulcer. Rodent ulcers (like the one shown above) typically appear on the upper lip, usually as a small swelling. Over time, and with frequent licking, the area can enlarge and ulcerate.

Rodent ulcer 2

Rodent ulcer, 13 days after beginning treatment. Photo by Little Creek Veterinary Clinic.

Rodent ulcers, also known as eosinophilic ulcers, are the result of eosinophils gone wild. An eosinophil is a type of white blood cell that releases biochemicals in response to an allergy or the presence of parasites. Sometimes, the biochemicals released by the “eos” attack the cat’s own tissue instead of an invading foreign body. The target area of the eos’ action becomes inflamed and sore.

Rodent ulcer 3

Photo by Little Creek Veterinary Clinic.

Rodent ulcers can be difficult to resolve, according to Dr. Donald Miele, a Norfolk veterinarian. Anti-inflammatory medications may be called for. Recently, some veterinarians have begun using allergy medication with limited success. The patient in these photos was treated with a combination of medications, including an allergy drug, with immediate results. The patient’s ulcer reduced in size and the lip swelling decreased.

Rodent ulcer 4

Photo by Little Creek Veterinary Clinic.

Stubborn cases of rodent ulcer may require biopsy (to rule out cancer) and further study, including parasite treatments and food trials.  

If you notice a sore or swollen area on your cat’s lips or tongue, have your veterinarian check it out. Early treatment may help prevent permanent disfigurement.

Tip: remove plastic food and water bowls and plastic toys, as they can be irritants to cats sensitive to plastics.


This post originally appeared on January 14, 2016.

Read Full Post »

Rodent ulcer 1

Rodent ulcer in a 16-year-old cat, pre-treatment. Photo by Little Creek Veterinary Clinic.

If your cat shows up with a fat lip and she hasn’t been in a fistfight lately, she may have a rodent ulcer. Rodent ulcers (like the one shown above) typically appear on the upper lip, usually as a small swelling. Over time, and with frequent licking, the area can enlarge and ulcerate.

Rodent ulcer 2

Rodent ulcer, 13 days after beginning treatment. Photo by Little Creek Veterinary Clinic.

Rodent ulcers, also known as eosinophilic ulcers, are the result of eosinophils gone wild. An eosinophil is a type of white blood cell that releases biochemicals in response to an allergy or the presence of parasites. Sometimes, the biochemicals released by the “eos” attack the cat’s own tissue instead of an invading foreign body. The target area of the eos’ action becomes inflamed and sore.

Rodent ulcer 3

Photo by Little Creek Veterinary Clinic.

Rodent ulcers can be difficult to resolve. Anti-inflammatory medications may be called for. Recently, some veterinarians have begun using allergy medication with limited success. The patient in these photos was treated with a combination of medications, including an allergy drug, with immediate results. The patient’s ulcer reduced in size and the lip swelling decreased.

Rodent ulcer 4

Photo by Little Creek Veterinary Clinic.

Stubborn cases of rodent ulcer may require biopsy (to rule out cancer) and further study, including parasite treatments and food trials.  

If you notice a sore or swollen area on your cat’s lips or tongue, have your veterinarian check it out. Early treatment may help prevent permanent disfigurement.

Tip: remove plastic food and water bowls and plastic toys, as they can be irritants to cats sensitive to plastics.

*******************************************************************************
This post originally appeared on January 24, 2013.

Read Full Post »

     Have you noticed sores or “acne” on your dog or cat’s chin? If your pet is eating or drinking from plastic bowls, it could have an allergy to the petroleum in the dishes. Plastic allergies can lead to mild or severe sores at the lips, chin, and nose.    

A plastic dish may not be right for your pet.

A plastic dish may not be right for your pet.

     Quick fix: swap out all plastic bowls for stainless steel or crockery (make sure it’s food-safe and not lead-based.) Your veterinarian may prescribe a pet-specific topical antibiotic to use on the affected area.

(Look for stainless steel pet dishes, like this cute bowl at WalMart.)

     If your pet continues to have sores, also check for and remove plastic and rubber toys.

     Inform the veterinarian if the problem persists or if you see signs of infection, such as pus, swelling, inflammation, or bleeding. Sometimes other allergens or bacteria are the cause of the problem. However, it is a good idea to remove plastics first, so they won’t exacerbate any existing allergy or bacterial infection.

********************************************************************************
This post first appeared on December 23, 2010.

Read Full Post »

     Have you noticed sores or “acne” on your dog or cat’s chin? If your pet is eating or drinking from plastic bowls, it could have an allergy to the petroleum in the dishes. Plastic allergies can lead to mild or severe sores at the lips, chin, and nose.    

A plastic dish may not be right for your pet.

     Quick fix: swap out all plastic bowls for stainless steel or crockery (make sure it’s food-safe and not lead-based.) Ask for Dermalone topical antibiotic at our clinic and apply this pet-specific ointment to the sore area 3 to 4 times a day.

(Look for cute, affordable stoneware pet dishes, like this one at WalMart.)

     If your pet continues to have sores, also check for and remove plastic and rubber toys.

     Inform the veterinarian if the problem persists or if you see signs of infection, such as pus, swelling, inflammation, or bleeding. Sometimes other allergens or bacteria are the cause of the problem. However, it is a good idea to remove plastics first, so they won’t exacerbate any existing allergy or bacterial infection.

Read Full Post »