Posts Tagged ‘mushroom toxicosis’

     If you’ve noticed mushrooms sprouting in the yard, pull them up and dispose of them in a tightly lidded trash can.  Depending on the variety of mushrooms, ingestion can lead to gastrointestinal upset, seizures, even death.

     Although dogs are more likely to sample the fungus among us, cats are at risk, also.  Signs of mushroom toxicosis include vomiting, diarrhea, and excessive drooling.  More serious signs to watch for are convulsions, muscle spasms, and fly-biting seizures (snapping at the air.)

     If you think your pet has ingested mushrooms, take him to the emergency hospital.  If you are able to locate a piece of the mushroom in question, wrap it in paper towels and carry it in a paper (not plastic) bag to show the vet. 

Source:  Article by Dennis Blodgett, DVM, PhD, Diplomate, ABVT, Toxicology, Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine

Read Full Post »