Puppies and kittens aren’t always perfect, and urine and stool pet accidents in the house are often the result. Follow these tips to clean a soiled rug:
- Remove feces and soak up urine with an absorbent towel.
- Soak the area with club soda and let it sit for a minute, then blot with a clean, dry towel.
- Repeat the club soda application until the odor is gone and any liquid absorbed by the towel is colorless.
- Treat the rug pad and subfloor beneath the soiled rug.
- Spray an odor eliminator on the affected area of the rug. Hint: test a hidden area of the rug or floor to make sure the spray will not damage it.
- If your pet sniffs at the area after you’ve cleaned it, there is probably a scent remaining. Begin the cleaning process with club soda again.
Try these odor eliminators and let us know what you think:
Odor Eliminator Candle – we use the Limited Edition Evergreen Scent.
Tips for how to clean a rug are from DVM Newsmagazine, November 2011, page 7S.
This article first appeared on Nov. 17, 2011.