You may be aware that Xylitol is a sugar alcohol ingredient of gum and candy that is harmful to pets.
But did you know that Xylitol is also found in medicines, dental products, and homemade desserts?
Check this partial list of Xylitol sources, then go here for a more complete list.
- chewing gum
- breath mints
- sugar substitute used in baking bread, muffins, cupcakes
- over-the-counter medications
- dietary supplements and vitamins
- nasal spray
- prescription drugs, including sleep aids, sedatives, antacids, smoking-cessation gums, stool softeners
- prepared foods such as Jell-O sugar-free pudding snacks, Zipfizz energy drink-mix powders, Nature’s Hollow products
So what’s the big deal?
Xylitol causes hypoglycemia and hepatic necrosis in pets.
Hypoglycemia is an abnormally low level of sugar in the blood. In severe cases, hypoglycemia leads to convulsions and coma.
Hepatic necrosis — in which the cells of the liver die off — leads to liver failure, if not caught in time.
We consider Xylitol ingestion to be an emergency. If you suspect your pet has eaten a product containing Xylitol, contact your nearest veterinary emergency hospital or the Pet Poison Helpline at 1-800-213-6680.